Kailash Tour FAQS -Frequently Asked Questions by Kailash Travellers
- How is Route & Climatic Conditions in Tibet Kailash Tour ?
- What should I bring while traveling to Mount Kailash & Manasarovar Yatra?
- When is the best time to go to Mount Kailash Tour?
- Can I join a pre-packaged Kailash tour or do it myself?
- What currencies can be used on Kailash Tour Tibet? Can I use credit card and ATM cards?
- What essential items I should bring for my Kailash Tour Trips ?
- What should I keep in mind when I contact with the Tibetans for Kailash Tour ?
- What type of vehicles will it be provided on Kailash Tours ?
- What type of accommodation will it be provided during Kailash Manasarovar Tour ?
- What's about insurance for Kailash Tour ?
- What is possibility of getting high altitude sickness in Kailash tour?
- How is Food and Beverage on Kailash Tour ?
- How will my Kailash tour booking be processed?
- What document do you need for Visa and Permits for Kailash travel?
- How to avoid and treat the high altitude sickness on Kailash tour?
- How's about Services and Risk and Liability on Kailash tour?
Kailash Travel Guide and Kailash Tour General Information
If you are planning for Kailash Mansarovar tour yatra, you are requested to be aware that it is rigorous and challenging tour where we have to spend all the time at high altitudes. So, at least two months regular practice is recommended either two hour daily running, swimming, or joining on a health club may help to complete the tour to Kailash successfully. Reduce drinking alcoholic beverage & smoking habits. Consult your Doctor to assess the state of your health to function safely within your own limitations. In addition to the personal prescriptions by your physician, a First Aid Kit is essential for the travel.
How is Route & Climatic Conditions in Tibet Kailash Tour ?
The route from Kathmandu to Kodari - Nepal-Tibet boarder is narrow and scary but most of it is black topped. The high altitude Tibetan terrain is dry, cold, windy and dusty. Night is colder rather than day. Torrential rains and strong icy winds is common feature. Flooding rivers and landslides are frequent. The average altitude is above 3,500m and the route covers many high altitudes pass.
What should I bring while traveling to Mount Kailash & Manasarovar yatra ?
We suggest you to bring some fresh fruit for your consumption while traveling as you might lose your appetite and this might be the only food you would like to take.
When is the best time to go to Mount Kailash Mansarovar tour ?
The best time of Kailash tour is around end of April to the end of September, and to visit central Tibet (Lhasa) is around September to November. The extreme drop in climate makes it unsuitable to visit the Everest Base Camp area from October to April. During winter roads might be blocked by heavy snow in east Tibet and Mt. kailash. Whereas in August, heavy rainfall makes travel in those areas very difficult.
Can I join a pre-packaged Kailas tour or do it myself?
Independent traveler is not allowed to do Mt. Kailash tour. To travel in Tibet Kailash you have to join on an organized group or have a private tour arranged by an authorized Kailash tour agency.
What currencies can be used in Tibet Kailash tour ? Can I use credit card and ATM cards?
Apart from Chinese Yuan, only US dollars are accepted. Very few shops in Tibet accept American currency and you might not be able to get a good deal for an exchange rate. Hotels only in Lhasa, Shigatse and Gyantse accept credit cards. ATM facility is not widely available. Exchanging your money to Chinese currency will be the best option for you, which can be done at Nepal Tibet border (Kodari/Zhangmu). Or at the Bank of China in Lhasa.
What essential items I should bring for my Kailash Manasarovar tour ?
Clothing for both extremes of climate and temperature. While driving to Kailash, it will be warm inside the vehicle and light clothing will be required, but as soon as you step out of the vehicle, warm clothing will be required to keep off the cold winds of the Tibetan Plateau. Evening will be generally cold and warm clothing will be required. We recommend that you bring along the following clothing and accessories with you:
01. Down Jacket - one (Available on Rent)
02. Warm thick pullover - One
03. Warm thin pullover - One
04. Warm pants - Two
05. Light loose cotton pants - Two
06. Warm windproof jacket - One
07. Cotton full sleeve T-Shirts - Four
08. Thermal under pants/long - Two
09. Thermal vest / warm full T-Shirts - Two
10. Rain coat with hood/ Poncho (should be roomy) - One
11. "Broken - in" pair of ankle high walking boots & one extra shoe laces.
12. Light tennis shoes & light rubber sandal.
13. Warm woolen socks-Six
15. Large cotton or silk scarf-One
16. Warm gloves.
17. Soft paper tissue and handkerchiefs - Plenty
18. Monkey cap and Sun heat - one each
19. Towels (one big, one small)
20. Washing kit.
Toiletries & Medical Supplies:
Diamox (250 mg) from your doctor, just in case you have an uncomfortable night of altitude sickness. Besides you can bring cold and flu tablets, throat lozenges, nasal decongestant, Aspirin, Multivitamins, Diarrhoea tablets, Insect and/or mosquito repellents, Iodine, Motion Sickness Tablets & water purifying tablets
First Aid Kit:
Band aids, Compression bandages, Small scissors, Tweezers, Water purifying tablets
A good quality mechanical camera with batteries
You will be provided:
- 2 Men Tent, Foam Mattresses
- Sleeping Bag
- Dinning Tents & Table and Stools
- Toilet Tents
- Kitchen Tents, Equipment, Food
- Guide, Cook, Helpers
- Porters/Yaks to carry luggage/camping equipments during the Parikrama
- 4WD Vehicles with Drivers
- Equipment Truck with driver
- Oxygen cylinder with Masks in every Vehicle
- Kit Bag for your cloth and Equipment
What should I keep in mind when I contact with the Tibetans for Kailash Tours ?
You should keep in mind that there are some rules need to be followed during the trip in Tibet
- Do not take photographs of the local people without asking permission, please show the respect to them!
- Do not talk about the sensitive topics like political or religious matters!
- Do not eat dog, donkey or horse in Tibet!
What type of vehicles will you be provided on Kailash Manasarovar tour ?
Kathmandu to Kodari private Minibus will be provided for the group. Border crossing from Kodari to Zhangmu (Tibet) will be on trucks, incase of landslide, approximately 30 mins ride. Throughout the journey in Tibet you will be travelling in 4 WD Japanese vehicles. A truck will be provided for luggage and all camping equipments and food supplies for Mt. kailash trip.
What type of accommodation will be provided on Kailash Tour Yatra ?
Accommodation in Nyalam and in Darchen lodges. The room at these places is very basic without any modem amenities. During the rest of the journey twin sharing high altitude tents will be provided. While camping we shall be providing all tents, mattresses, sleeping bags and camping equipment required for the trip, except for personal clothing. No laundry services will be available throughout the trip. Single room cannot be guaranteed. Accommodation in Xigantse, Gyantse and in Lhasa normal hotels. The rooms at these places are normal without air-condition.
What's about insurance for Kailash Tour ?
Kailash Tour Info suggests each and every Kailash yatris to have the comprehensive insurance from their home country. This comprehensive insurance will cover for trip cancellation, travel interruptions and delays, emergency medical and health expenses, lost baggage and more.
Before booking Kailash tour, the name of insurance company and policy number are necessary to mention in the booking form.
What is the possibility of getting high altitude sickness in Kailash tour ?
High altitude sickness is a problem that occurs when people travel from lower elevations to about 2438m or more above sea level. Serious types of altitude sickness include high-altitude pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) and high-altitude cerebral edema (swelling of the brain). With altitude sickness, the travelers may first feel like having the flu or a hangover, with symptoms such as, headache, fatigue, appetite loss, nausea, insomnia and difficulty breathing during exercise.
How's about Food and Beverage on Kailash tour ?
We will be providing vegetarian breakfast and dinner cooked by our Sherpas at campsite, who will be taken from Kathmandu. You will be required to bring sufficient supplementary food like chocolates, biscuits, nuts, pickles, bhujias and your favorite tinned products to add variety to the meals. Lunch will be packed of light snacks.
Note: Central Tibet is based on bed and breakfast basis.
How will my Kailash tour booking be processed ?
To confirm your Kailash tour booking, it requires a non-refundable deposit of USD 300 for a Tibet trip which can be made by bank transfer. The balance is payable on arrival in Kathmandu and is normally made in the form of a Money order or Travellers Cheques. Alternatively this can be made by bank transfer shortly before arriving in Kathmandu.
What document do you need for Visa and Permits for Kailash tour ?
You must be in possession of valid passport for at least 7 months. We will obtain your visa for Tibet and will require the following information's when making your reservation.
Full name as it appears in your passport
Date of expiry
Place of issue
Date of birth and occupation
Two passport size photographs are also required.
Additionally, you must allow a minimum of 10 full working days in Kathmandu for the visa.
How to avoid and treat the high altitude sickness on Kailash Tour ?
- Please do not exert yourself and be relaxed before making trip to Tibet
- Take the prescribed medication before reaching Tibet and continue to take the medication upon arrival there.
- Avoid drinking coffee or alcohol, and taking sleeping pills in the high altitude areas.
- Drink plenty of water or tea.
- Eat high-carbohydrate foods (rice, pasta, cereal) while avoiding fatty stuff.
- Avoid active movements and try to relax in the first one or two days upon arrival at the high altitude areas.
- Diamox® 125 mg. tablets taken twice a day is F.D.A. approved for prevention and treatment of A.M.S. Although it originally was released as a diuretic (water pill), it also helps you breath deeper and faster. This allows you to get more oxygen. Diamox is especially helpful with the sleeping problems and other symptoms of A.M.S. Avoid sleeping pills because they may cause shallow breathing at night and make it more difficult for your body to absorb oxygen while you sleep.
- Use Oxygen to relieve symptoms.
- If nothing else works, return to the areas with the lower elevation.
How's about Services, Risk and Liability on Kailash Tour ?
Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu will be on twin sharing basis & accommodation in Tibet will be either on Tent or guesthouse. The guest house accommodation will be dormitory accommodation and tent accommodation will be on twin sharing basis.
Once you enter Tibet, boarder you will be accompanying by Chinese guide along with our official tour guide, Sherpa team and Chinese drivers. Our Sherpas who take care of your need and requirements are cheerful and helpful. The drivers of Land Cruisers are competent and safe.
Separate toilet tents [Men and Ladies] shall be provided. Walking sticks shall be provided.
Deluxe Land Cruisers as per the package costs with comfortable seats shall be used through out the tour.
Occupancy is limited to four adults per Cruiser. Kora around Kailash may be covered partially by the land cruiser depending on weather, landslides or other reasons.
In case Parikrama around MT. KAILASH is not possible as per the itinerary due to adverse weather or other conditions additional one-day expense will be borne by the organizer. Expenses of the more additional days have to bear by the clients only.
The drive from the border to Mt. Kailsh usually takes 5 or 6 days under perfect conditions. Whether, land slides and mechanical problem may alter the itinerary, however alternate route are worked out to continue with the journey.
Our official guide will discus with Chinese guide and driver and brief you about the next day programme and general welfare at the time of dinner.
Please bear in mind that the comfort en-route and destination may not match your home or a five star. It is totally different mission and it is challenging. It is your SPIRIT and will power, which will carry you through.
"SPECIAL BRIEFFING" by experts shall be conducted in KATHMANDU one day prior to the departure.
Risk and liability
The Specialty of Mission Eco Trek is that even if one Yatri wants to do the Kora he / she will be taken carefully. Oxygen bags, Gaymo bags, Basic medical Kits are provided.
No Alcohol, Drugs and other intoxicants. Anyone found using these will be left behind at the very camp at their own risk. Further stay and return back are all at their own risk and the liability is theirs.
Any natural adversity like landslides, storm, floods, heavy snow, road blockage political unrest, cancellation of flights, delay in arrival or departure, sickness or accident, any unforeseen events that change the scheduled program forces the travels to change the itinerary, the decision of the experienced coordinator and the travels are the final one.
Any additional cost incurred due to the above mentioned reasons must be borne by the travelers.
The pilgrimage is planned to make all do the Kora of the Holy Mount Kailash. But if any one cannot make it them the additional cost of the camp of staying behind has to be born them and there.
Travelers can take insurance coverage.